How to make Paneer Butter Masala | Paneer Makhani | Butter Paneer recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. It is a popular and rich North Indian or Punjabi curry made with creamy cottage cheese. this recipe is a vegetarian alternative to the famous butter chicken where paneer is used instead of chicken cubes. It is a premium curry that is ideally served with Indian flatbreads or even rice dishes like cumin rice and ghee rice.
How to make Paneer Butter Masala | Paneer Makhani | Butter Paneer recipe with step by step photo and video recipe. North Indian or Punjabi cuisine is known for its rich and creamy gravy curry. This gravy can be mixed with many different main ingredients which in turn can become a unique flavored curry.
I have mentioned many times so far that I love paneer recipes and whenever we go out for lunch or dinner, a must have paneer gravy. Having said that, I always prefer something more spicy with paneer like paneer makhani over kadai paneer or palak paneer. My husband and I do not like creamy or rich paneer gravy as we feel bloated after a meal. Anyway, this is my view, but there are many who simply crave this classic paneer recipe. As a matter of fact, this creamy recipe has been given a lot of variations. A new paneer recipe can be created by adding some unique spices and ingredients. however, in this post, i have limited myself to one authentic butter paneer recipe.
Recipe Card for Paneer Butter Masala Recipe:
For Onion Tomato Paste:
• 1 tsp butter
• 1 tsp oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 inch ginger
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 2 tomatoes, chopped
• 10 cashews
• 2 tbsp butter
• 2 pod cardamom
• 1 bay leaf
• tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
• tsp garam masala
• tsp cumin powder
• 1 cup water
• tsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp cream
• 20 cubes paneer / cottage cheese
• 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
• tsp kasoori methi, crushed
• tsp garam masala
1. First of all, in a large kadai add 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp oil.
2. Saute 1 onion, 1 inch ginger and 3 cloves garlic till it shrinks slightly.
3. Now add 2 tomatoes and 10 cashews for a minute.
4. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or till tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
5. Cool completely and transfer to blender.
6. Blend until a smooth paste and add water if required.
7. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a pan and add 2 pods cardamom and 1 bay leaf and fry.
8. Keep on low flame and add tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, tsp garam masala and tsp cumin powder.
9. Fry until the masala becomes fragrant without burning.
10. Add the prepared onions to the tomato paste and fry well.
11. Sauté till the oil separates from the edges.
12. Further add 1 cup water, tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt.
13. Mix the consistency well as required.
14. Further, add 2 tbsp cream and mix well.
15. Now add 20 cubes of paneer and mix gently.
16. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until flavors are absorbed.
17. Further add 2 tbsp coriander, tsp kasoori methi and tsp garam masala. Mix well.
18. finally, enjoy paneer butter masala with roti or naan.